The lines start off innocently. You smile and they appear at the corners of the eyes. You don’t take much notice of them and then practically overnight, you look into a mirror and see those lines appearing much more prominently. Your skin looks dull, there are age spots, tiny wrinkles and you panic. You start buying products like crazy, book appointments for facials and various other treatments and constantly worry about the fact that you are growing old. Familiar scenario right? Well, these changes do not happen as suddenly as it seems. Renowned aesthetic physician and skin expert Dr Rashmi Shetty says that “Skin aging starts as early as 25. It is important to realise that, as we age, the skin’s ability to repair itself is bound to reduce”.
So how do we prevent skin aging? Here are some tips that I follow.
- Limit sun exposure – Sunlight is a source of Vit D and a lot of us are Vit D deficient so absolutely avoiding sunlight is not recommended. However, limit the skin’s exposure to the harsh rays of the sun particularly in the afternoon.
- Avoid Crash Dieting – Eat healthy, avoid oily and fried food, eat at regular intervals but don’t stop eating! Your skin needs the nutrients and if you don’t give it, your skin will look tired, dull and haggard. Also, the cycle of losing and gaining weight quickly is extremely harmful and you will end up with sagging skin.
- Get Omega 3 – Omega-3 fats help to normalize skin lipids and prevent dehydration in the cells. This helps to decrease the appearance of fine lines. I have two capsules of fish oil everyday, one after breakfast and the other after dinner and it has really helped my skin and hair.
- Simple skin care routine – My skin care routine is very simple. I stress on the basics – drinking a lot of water, cleansing, toning, moisturizing twice every day, exfoliating once a week and diligently removing makeup before going to bed.
- Don’t experiment too much – I don’t experiment with skincare products and stick to what works for me. A range that I like and I’ve been using for some years now is the Pond’s Age Miracle range which is enriched with 6 bio actives and has SPF 15+ . I use the night cream and have also recently started using the new Firm and Lift eye cream which is working quite well.
You can turn back time. On this Women’s Day, just promise to love and take care of your skin a lot more :). I would love to know your skincare tips on how to get younger, healthier looking skin. Do share in the comments below.
This post is written in association with Pond’s Age Miracle