Will you judge me if I say that it’s been a week since I’ve had the exquisite Sunday Pranzo at La Cucina, Hyatt Regency Kolkata and I still can’t stop thinking about how good the food was? Ya, you probably will but that is the glutton that I am pretties. What to do? 😀
Kolkata has finally caught up with the Sunday brunch culture and there are plenty of restaurants now that offer a very good brunch but the one at La Cucina will have to be my favorite. Why? First of all, it goes on pretty late till 4 pm while most restaurants get over around 3. Second of all, the food is Italian and you get a selection of specialties from different regions of Italy like Tuscany, Sicily, Veneto. Third reason is that the food is complimented with unlimited Italian wines, beers and other imported spirits. Fourth reason is that the brunch menu is huge and you get pretty much everything in it from ravioli to gnocchi to pizza to polenta etc and last but to me the most important reason is that they have a killer selection of desserts.
The La Cucina kitchen is under the charge of Chef Sumeet Priyadarshi and he comes up with such brilliant food. You can choose from a huge selection of salads and cold cuts from the counter and then move on to the appetizers. When I went last week, the menu included roasted potato wedges with aglio, olio and peperoncino sauce for the vegetarians. For the non-vegetarians there were chicken nuggets with tartar sauce. My niece is crazy for chicken nuggets and I think most kids are so if you are taking them along, the nuggets will be a big hit!
Like I wrote above, the brunch menu is huge and I’m not going into details of each dish. Instead, I’ll share what I loved the most in the pasta, risotto and main course sections and would definitely want you to try them out.
- Pumpkin and pine nut ravioli with herb butter emulsion – Yes, I am recommending a vegetarian dish! I’ve had this ravioli before and I love how smooth the pumpkin and pine nut filling is. Paired with the butter emulsion, this makes for a fine dish.
- Red wine and mushroom risotto – Risotto to me is comfort food and this one, cooked with red wine and mushrooms is comfort food at its best. The cheese adds to the flavor and the beautiful, creamy consistency of the risotto can make you order several helpings of it.
- Saffron creamy polenta – Richly flavored, creamy and silky smooth, this polenta is a delight to the senses.
- Fusili with seafood bisque – Give me seafood with anything and I will love it so you get why I loved this dish 🙂
- Grilled chicken with thyme sauce – This is a simple dish with lots of fresh flavor and is a universal favorite.
- Lamb and vegetable stew – Again, a very simple meal but very comforting. The lamb is perfectly cooked and with the veggies, makes for a hearty meal
- Melting Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice cream – I’m not sure if this is part of the Sunday Brunch but I had it that day courtesy Chef Sumeet and I was floored. Cut the little cake and you see rich, dark chocolate sauce pouring out of it. Put it in your mouth and you are instantly transported to heaven! This dessert is a signature La Cucina dish and NOT TO BE MISSED if you are a chocoholic!
So, what are you waiting for? Book a table for the Sunday Pranzo at La Cucina and enjoy your date with Italian food!
Exotic Sunday Pranzo at La Cucina