Burnt Garlic is a cafe-cum-restobar that opened last year on the ground floor of Priya Cinema. In fact, the restaurant is owned by the Priya cinema management and hence, there was a lot of buzz when it opened. The launch day saw quite a few celebrities coming in. Everyone was talking about the interiors designed by a famous city scenographer. Curtains of rolling pins, wall art with fabric plates, patchwork embroidery upholstery, 70’s disco lighting, live gigs. The ingredients were all there for a successful run. The reviews however were not too flattering. I heard from people that the food was overpriced and not up to the mark and hence I stayed away from visiting the place. Nearly four months later, everyone I knew was talking about Burnt Garlic. They were raving about the food, the drinks, the new menu and the slashed prices. I knew I had to visit soon and I did a few weeks back.
Let me warn you right away. If you are on a diet or planning to go on one soon, you should stay far far away from My Big Fat Belly, a new restaurant that has garnered some rave reviews. However, if you care more about a juicy burger or a cheesy pizza than the size of your belly, you must visit this restaurant because the food here is insanely good. We had our Kolkata Food Fanatics meet there last month and I was mighty impressed by what I ate.
The restaurant is located where The Little Donkey used to be, on Sarat Bose Road. It is a small joint and seats are limited so it is almost always full. I really liked the atmosphere of the place. It is done up in bright colors, there are quirky posters on the wall and in general, you feel a good vibe when you step inside.
One of my favorite places to eat Italian food in Kolkata, Alla Bella Mozzarella now has a new menu. I was invited to a blogger’s meet by the restaurant on a lazy Sunday afternoon to try out the new dishes and I was floored! Old favorites like Roasted Bell Pepper Soup, Caesar Salad, Spaghetti di prawn aglio and the beautiful Wood-fired Chocolate fondant continue to be part of the menu but I may have found some new favorites.
Smoke House Deli has always been one of my favorite places in Kolkata to drop in for a meal or just to have a few cocktails with some nibbles. For this season, Smoke House Deli has launched a special range of smoked cocktails and named it Alchemy. There are seven smoked cocktails to choose from, each having a special smoky flavor to them.
- Apple Wood – Tangerine Zest Smoked Berry (Rs 275) – The perfect combination of gin, mix berries,lime juice and orange bitters
- Misty Apple Sour ( Rs 275) – A refreshing drink, with a perfect blend of green apple, lime & vodka
- House Spiced Smoked Sangria (Rs 275) – A fruity sangria infused with orange juice, fresh fruits with red wine, port wine and brandy makes this a must this season
- Lime Zest Smoked Daiquiri (Rs 275) – This citrusy drink tastes just as refreshing as it looks! Adding to its eclectic flavour is a mix of Bacardi, Pineapple and Lime juice
- Smoked Maple Kentucky (Rs 375) – With Apple juice, Maple Syrup and Whisky, a unique combination that is stunning to look at, tastes divine and is as smooth as you like it
- Cherry Wood Smoked Rob Roy (Rs 475) – Sweetness of vermouth married to perfect tanginess of fresh orange and a dash of angostura bitters
- Lapsang Souchong Smoked Margarita (Rs 475) – a perfect blend of Tequila, Egg White, Lime Juice, Lapsang & Souchong infused syrup
Tucked inside a quiet Ballygunge Place lane is Alla Bella Mozzarella, the newest Italian restaurant in town. My friends Poorna and Shikha were speaking very highly of this new restaurant so on Mother’s Day, I dropped in with my parents. It’s only been a couple of months since Alla Bella Mozzarella opened but the restaurant has already become really popular. We went in around 1 pm and only a few tables were available. Within 15 mins those got booked too and then, there were people standing outside waiting to get a free table. Queues in front of a restaurant can only mean one thing. Good food and yes, Alla Bella Mozzarella serves really good Italian food!